August 04, 2005

From Moscow to Ulaan Baatar

Moscow recieved me with open arms and no trouble at all. I spent a few days in the city enjoying a new pace of life, my newly aquired freedom and let the reality of the next thirteen months sink in. Its an amazing opportunity that I've been granted and i could not be more thankful to the Watson Fellowship for this time and support in pursuing my project.

Upon arrival in Moscow, make some new friends - two russian girls who take me through the streets, canals, squares and parks and into thier hearts by day, a group of backpackers and foreign students who show me Moscow's nightlife and encourage my tendency towards insomnia.

But, I am not here to stay and in the end, Moscow is a starting point for my journey. I think of movement, I learn a little Russian and I prepare to leave.



This is the 0 km marker in Moscow, just outside the Red Square. My new friend and fellow Watson Fellow, Rob and I came here on my last day in Moscow. As per tradition, I stood in the middle, faced east and threw some coins over my shoulder, hoping for a safe and speedy journey. My time in Moscow has been quick and exciting.

For more pictures of Moscow, follow link to my flickr album here.

After a final day exploring the city, lounging around near the river drinking russian beer (which is all anyone seems to do in Moscow), and stocking up on supplies for the train, I bid farewell to the city. I'm ready for a little sobering solitude. Just the wind, rolling hills and views of fars and cottages.




Seven days on the Trans-Siberian rail and 6,500 km later, I've reached Ulaan Baatar, the capitol of Mongolia. The train ride here was amazing.

I've found a lovely place to live and am busy trying to set up more contacts in town and find myself a Mongolian language teacher. I am excited to be headed out west to Baigan Olgii and Hovd in the near future.

A more substantial update and hopefully some photos in the works.
Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home