June 14, 2006

Holland

I retreat to Holland for rest, readjustment and some medical attention. After a week of every imaginable test, the fine doctors at the polikliniek Tropische geneeskunde in the Academic Medical Center cured me in the end and were very, very thorough. Turns out I did have all sorts of parasites living in my belly, my intestines and blood. I suppose I wasn't travelling solo after all.
But, I'm a terrible host and after two attempts at peaceable eviction, I have finally killed all of my guests.

It takes two weeks for the results to come in and for the doctors to convince me not to return to Africa and to continue my trip in Ireland instead of Ethiopia. It is the right decision in the end. We are all glad that I made it to the clinic before the ameobas jumped to my kidneys. I'm not in such rought shape anymore.

I pass my days cycling, walking all over the city and making new Dutch friends. I am happier when I move out of the hostel and into an appartment with Joris over near Westerpark. I settle in and have a hard time leaving. Unfortunatly, the medicine I am finally put on is strong and makes me ill. But, spirits are high.

By now I am excited to head over to Ireland and to meet some Irish Travellers. I have processed Mali and had a chance to talk to some patient friends. I buy a plane ticket for Dublin and imagine of green pastures, sheep and rain. I am finished with the desert for a while.
I dream of a new bike and fiddle music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home