May 22, 2006

West Africa Retrospective


MOROCCO (April, 2006):

Lost in Fez - Finding myself to be no longer in India, I proceed to orient through the disorientation of the winding alleyways and markets of Fez's surreal medina.

Mathematics - Hassan teaches us all a lesson in humanistic calculus.

Into the desert - from Marrakesh to the mountains to the desert. (with a slideshow link)

More Questionable Nomads - The sand dunes and desert of Merzouga are a sad and beautiful fantasy.

Sweet Essaouira - Another slideshow with photos of the lovely seaside town where I took time to rest, write and drink espresso.

South into the Sahara - Leaving Euro Disney Morrocco and entering the actual desert en route to the border with Mauritania.




MAURITANIA AND SENEGAL (May, 2006)

South into the Sahara - Leaving the cafes and tourists of Morocco behind for a dustier Sahara. But the buses keep running and so do I.

Mauritanian Nomads - The family I should have stayed with but didn't. Arrived and realized my heart wasn't there.

Lured to Senegal - Avoiding my sandy future for the meantime and instead hugging the coast. I an alternate route through Senegal, lured by music, fish, dancing and the promise of a doctor.

The Infamous Dakar-Bamako Express (Dakar part 1) - The joys of waiting in Dakar for a train with no schedule.

Battling the Chef de Gare (Dakar part 2) - More days or waiting and a day of victory against all odds and custom.

Travelling first class in Africa - Pre-photos of my luxurious compartment. This is what eighty dollars will buy you in Africa.



MALI (MAY 2006)

Il y a beaucoup de chaleur a Bamako - A difficult first few days in the capital.

Unwelcome - A determination to find beauty in the streets of Bamako despite my aching belly.

Trying to get to Timbuctou - Even a crashed jeep and bags of fish can't keep us from the desert.

The saddest village in my desert - My medic training leaves my unprepared to deal with five year old victims of female circumscision. I decide not to stay in my Touerg village.

Dry season - Waiting for the rains.

Leaving Afrika - a slide show and an apology.

Homes - A few thoughts about imagined community and isolation.

Trading Camels for Caravans - Reflections on leaving Africa, movement, illness and heading to Ireland

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home